Soulpepper is pleased to partner with the DEAF CULTURE CENTRE on this extraordinary, signed music musical to elevate the Deaf community’s “place” in the Canadian arts landscape.
A young woman’s life is turned upside down when her tattoos come alive and propel her on a fantastical journey in search of her own inner voice.
Faces, hands, and movements are our poetry. In The Black Drum, by Deaf Canadian playwright Adam Pottle, Deaf actors tell their story through physical theatre, signed music, projection, and dance while motion capture enhances their graceful rhythms. Audiences are invited to experience this pioneering new work unlike any other.
Note: This production is presented with Written and Voice Synopsis & Audio Assist Devices and is accessible to non-ASL audiences. Please be aware that a high level of bass amplification is used throughout the performance.
Approximate running time: 75 minutes with no intermission.
All tickets are General Admission. Please arrive early to choose seating location.
Previews - $36
Adult - $50
Student - $25
ODSP (ID required) - $25
Yani Liu and Dawn Jani Birley. Photo: Dahlia Katz.
Watch & Listen
- ADAM POTTLE, Playwright
- MIRA ZUCKERMANN, Director
- JOANNE CRIPPS, Producer / Executive Director, Deaf Culture Centre
- ANITA SMALL, Director, Cross Cultural Development & Research
- JACK VOLPE, Assistant Director
- KEN MACKENZIE, Set & Props Designer
- RUTH ALBERTYN, Costume Designer
- CHRIS MALKOWSKI, Lighting Designer
- ADAM HARENDORF, Sound Designer
- LAURA WARREN, Video & Projection Designer
- MARYAM HAFIZIRAD, Assistant Set & Costume Designer
- PAMELA WITCHER, Signed Music Mentor
- PATRICIA ALLISON, Dance Choreographer
- JEFFREY BAKER, Ballet Instructor, Baker Light Integrated Star System
- SALLY ROBERTS, Production Manager
- SANDI BECKER, Stage Manager
- SEREN BROOKE LANNON, Assistant Stage Manager
- RON HALL, ASL Master
- HELEN PIZZACALLA, ASL Master
- CATHERINE JOELL MACKINNON, Communications and Audience Engagement Manager